1031 Exchange Timeline Calculator
1031 Exchange Timeline Calculator Definitions
- Closing date
- Closing date for the relinquished property.
- 45-Day Identification Period Deadline
- You have maximum of 45 calendar days from the closing date of your relinquished property to produce a written list of potential replacement properties. The deadline is exactly midnight, 45 calendar days from the closing date (sale date) of the property being relinquished.
Extensions and exceptions are approved by the IRS in rare circumstances and only for certain classes of tax payers. If you don't meet this deadline your exchange fails.
- 180-Day Exchange Period Deadline
- The maximum exchange period from the closing date of your sale of the relinquished property to the purchase or your replacement property is 180 calendar days. And, the property or properties you purchase within those 180 calendar days must be on your 45-Day Identification list. Please note that this calculator only shows the 180-Day Exchange Deadline. If your 180-Day Exchange Period extends past your tax filing deadline, you may need to file an extension of your tax filing.
Extensions and exceptions to the 180-Day Exchange Period are approved by the IRS in rare circumstances and only for certain classes of tax payers. If you don't meet this deadline your exchange fails.