What income is required to qualify for a mortgage? That largely depends on your monthly debt payments and the current interest rate. This calculator collects these important variables and determines your required income to qualify for your desired mortgage amount.
Mortgage Required Income
Mortgage Required Income Definitions
- Desired mortgage amount
- The total loan amount you are looking to qualify for.
- Monthly housing expenses
- Your monthly housing expenses from the housing expenses worksheet. The items entered as housing expenses make up the taxes and insurance portion of your monthly PITI payment.
- Monthly liabilities
- Your monthly liabilities from the liabilities worksheet. Your monthly liabilities are used to calculate your maximum PITI.
- Monthly housing payment (PITI)
- This is your total Principal and Interest, Tax and Insurance (PITI) payment per month. This includes your principal, interest, real estate taxes, hazard insurance, association dues or fees and principal mortgage insurance (PMI). Maximum monthly payment (PITI)
- Maximum principal and interest (PI)
- This is your maximum monthly principal and interest payment. It is calculated by subtracting your monthly taxes and insurance from your monthly PITI payment. This calculator uses your maximum PI payment to determine the mortgage amount that you could qualify for.
- Start interest rates at
- The current interest rate you could receive on your mortgage. This is used as the starting point for displaying a range of interest rates and the resulting mortgage amount.
- Term in years
- The number of years over which you will repay this loan. The most common mortgage terms are 15 years and 30 years.
- Real estate taxes
- The amount you expect to pay in property taxes. This is normally paid either semi-annually or annually.
- Hazard insurance
- The amount you expect to pay for hazard insurance. This is normally paid either semi-annually or annually.
- Association dues or fees
- The amount you expect to pay a homeowner's association or other required monthly fee. This is normally paid monthly.
- Monthly PMI
- Monthly cost of Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI). For loans secured with less than 20% down, PMI is estimated at 0.5% of your loan balance each year.